Wednesday, December 12, 2007

'Tis the Season for Change

Usually the New Year brings a laundry list of resolutions that last about a day; save more money, eat better, lose weight, keep track of birthdays better...the usual. This year is going to be different though. Okay, well not that much different since I already have those resolutions written down. The New Year, for me, will hopefully bring a welcome change from way too many hours spent 'researching' to working as a professional. Now, all I have to decide is what I want!

I have now interviewed with three companies, all of which are located in Western MA. They all cover traffic engineering operations and design and have clientele in the area. However, these potential employers could not be more different! They really run the spectrum of projects, budget, office structure, resources, etc., you name it. At one end we have the completely public sector and at the other end we have the jazzy upscale consulting firm. Somewhere in the middle falls the third company, a private company with a large public sector clientele.

What to do? How to choose? This is particularly challenging for a compulsive shopper like myself. Mind you that is getting much better but it is still a bit of a challenge. I am grateful that I have options but options can make choosing rather difficult!

So what do I do? How to choose...how to choose. If only I could come up with an ingenious algorithm or utility function to choose for me. Guess I should have paid better attention in math. Dang.

1 comment:

bender said...

You'll know which job to choose by your "gut" feeling. In all my years, my guts have never steered me wrong. I believe it is the "smartest" of all parts of us. It's like our internal judge, weighing our ideas, thoughts, and emotions, and then passing down the ruling.
Secondly, I like that you've brought back "dang", I use "snap" myself sometimes.